WordPress 4.0 just dropped, did you upgrade yet?
- Ensure you update the tagline away from default value “Just another WordPress site”. Consider putting your service, product type, location or similar.
- Membership (Anyone can register): Leave this unchecked if you are not subscription/membership site.
- Timezone: Update this to your timezone. (For Hawaii we are UTC-10)
- Week Starts on “Sunday” not Monday
- Mail Server
- Front page displays: Update this to ” A static page” and select your Homepage from the dropdown.
- Ensure “Search Engine Visibility” is NOT checked if you are a live site.
- “Users must be registered and logged in to comment” should be checked.
- Common Settings > Custom Structure: Enter in (without the quotes) “/%category%/%postname%/”
Disqus Comment System
Centralized comments, anti spam, easy of commenting.
Jetpack by WordPress.com
Enhanced WordPress features.
- Monitor: Be alerted if your site goes down.
Google Universal Analytics
I used to recommend Google Analytics by Yoast but it has been a year without him upgrading to support Google’s Universal Analytics tracking code. So I switched to this plugin by Audrius Dobilinskas.
This will handle your XML sitemaps
Gravity Forms (Paid)
For the contact us form.